Accepted [MNScript RFC] Aggregate Additions

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyFuller

Aug 26, 2023
NOTE: Remmy said it was okay to lump these all together as they're all for MNScript. I've spoilered them all to make browsing through them better.

Summary​

Add IsArrested and ArrestTime functions to the Player class.

Motivation​

The CGPD arrest list is public via the website, just like the wanted list (which we can get, alongside the reason). It would also allow for better RP as Mayor and another source of income for them (a kiosk outside PD to allow people to bail out their friends).

The ArrestTime function would be a corollary to the IsArrested function, like the wanted reason. This would allow you to adjust a theoretical bail payment based on how long they have left in jail.

Design​

New functions in the Player class:
  • Player.IsArrested() (returns a bool of if a player is arrested).
  • number Player.ArrestTime() (returns a number of how long they have until they are released, or 0 if they're not arrested)

Drawbacks​

Don't really see any other than it "might" be too OP. I don't see this being the case. If this is the case, make the "IsArrested" function take a few fake lag cycles longer to have some sort of cost from calling it often. People already have auto-unarrest scripts, I don't see why this shouldn't be added because of this. There is a more long form discussion on this point in the DarkRP discord with Relman, it can be found here. I wouldn't want this to be denied because it's "too OP", I'd prefer points regarding this to be brought up so they can be addressed and responded to, instead of a flat denial.

Alternatives​

There are none really.

Summary​

Add a Slice function to the Array library which returns a "slice" of a given array of any type.

Motivation​

There's no real way to get (more than one) part of an array without looping through it, this RFC provides a way for this.

Design​

New function in the Array library:
  • Array.Slice(any[] array, number start, number end) (returns any[] of the array values been the start and end index, null if those are out of bounds)

Drawbacks​

None really.

Alternatives​

There are none really.

Summary​

Adds a NSplit function to the String library which returns a string array of the string, split by a delimiter, up to a "max split" of n (parameter).

Motivation​

Right now, to achieve this in MNScript, you need to use IndexOf, which is fine for when you only want to split once, but more, you need to use String.Sub from that index until you reach the end. This is in-efficient.

Design​

New function in the String library:
  • Array.NSplit(string str, string delimiter, number n) (returns string[] containing the string split by the delimiter a maximum of n times)

Drawbacks​

None really.

Alternatives​

Doing what I said in the motivation.

(No alliteration, sorry)

Summary​

Add compound operators (+=, -=, *=, /=, %=, ^=, and ..=).

Motivation​

Currently in MNScript, the way you have to setup a for loop is using a while loop and incrementing a count like so i = i + 1, this RFC would reduce that to this i += 1 which is semantically better.

Design​

Multiple new operators:
  • += adds the expression on the right to the variable on the left and assigns it.
  • -= subtracts the expression on the right to the variable on the left and assigns it.
  • *= multiplies the expression on the right by the variable on the left and assigns it.
  • /= divides the variable on the left by the expression on the right and assigns it.
  • %= find the remainder of the variable on the left after dividing by the expression on the right and assigns it.
  • ^= raises the variable on the left to the power of the expression on the right and assigns it.
  • ..= concatantes the string on the right to the variable on the left and assigns it.

Drawbacks​

Users could be confused at first by this syntax. Hydro has also said that this would require serious compiler work instead of how operators work already.

Alternatives​

Adding a ++ or -- operator, but this is not possible as MNScript is not tokenized.

Summary​

Add a Null function to the Util library which just returns a null value.

Motivation​

Currently in MNScript, you cannot have optional parameters nor can you return null (you must use a <Type>Result class or an erroneous value). This RFC tries to alleviate that by adding a function which returns a null value which can be assigned to a variable of any type.

Design​

New function in the Util library:
  • Util.Null() (returns a null value)

Drawbacks​

It doesn't look good semantically, a better way would be optional parameters.

Alternatives​

Adding a NULL keyword to MNScript.

Summary​

Allow a boolean to be returned in the IncomingNTM and ConsoleCommand events to stop the actual PC handling these messages and outputting something to the console.

Note: This has already been addressed slightly with the moving from bf_password.exe to bf_password.mscx

Motivation​

When adding custom console commands, or handling network transfer messages in a program. The PC sometimes outputs text to the console, for example with whois responses, or Command not found for console commands. This RFC fixes this by allowing you to return a boolean value to stop the PC from handling it (events would not be processed by the PC, the PC wouldn't run a command if stopped). This would function like Device_PaymentButtonPressed.

Design​

Boolean return values are added for the IncomingNTM and ConsoleCommand event.

If true is returned, then the PC will handle the event. If false is returned, the PC will not handle the event.

Note: This could also be flipped around, true to stop, false to allow.

Drawbacks​

Could break old programs (you could just pass it to the PC if neither was returned).
Could slow down the PC, as all events would have to run in MNScript programs first before the PC could handle anything.

Alternatives​

Remove a load of annoying messages if a program didn't invoke it (for NTM). No real solution for console commands unless we can register them in MNScript.

Summary​

Refactor how the Peripheral library approaches Turrets by adding a GetConnectedTurret function to the Peripheral library and by adding MakeFriendlySteamID, MakeHostileSteamID, IsValid, and SetText to the Turret class in the Peripheral library.

Motivation​

Right now, the way you interact with turrets doesn't fit into how you interact with other peripherals (like VCMiners and Teleporters). It has top level functions in the Peripheral library which should really just be in the Turret class. While I'd love to remove these out right, we can't due to backwards compatibility.

This RFC tries to bring some consistency into this (even if the old ones are still around).

Design​

A function added to the Peripheral library:
  • Peripheral.GetConnectedTurret() (returns a Turret instance, which may or may not be valid (for checking if one is connected or not)).
Functions added to the Turret class in the Peripheral library:

Drawbacks​

Can't see any.

Alternatives​

Can't see one.

Phew, it's over!
I'm open to any questions or comments (hence the title "RFC").

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Remmy

CC Executive VIP
Donator
Dec 24, 2020
Suggestion Accepted

Hi @AnthonyFuller .

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

You've made quite a few different suggestions within this thread, and they've all been accepted apart from:

Noisy NTM - This is not feasible in Maxnet at this point in time.

Pampered Player - We think this would make antiarrest scripts far too unbalanced.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as accepted.​

Status
Not open for further replies.