Denied Music Command for Large Events / Impactful Events

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre

Civil Gamers Expert
Mar 21, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove
A possibility in the future for a +playurl or !playurl command to be able to play mp3 files through a link. (Most likely a discord mp3 or a sort of website that hosts MP3 files.)

Possible Positives of the suggestion
Allows for Events to be emotional.
Allows for Events to have more impact.
Allows for Events to be more exciting
Allows for Events to have more immersion
Allows for Events to use custom-GM made assets regarding MP3s and Music.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion
Some GMs may abuse this command and play random music.
Some GMs may accidentally play an audio that's a bit too loud.
Some GMs may play something inappropriate.
Some Staff may try to ruin an event maliciously as a way to 'get back at someone'.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted?

I believe that the addition of this command can allow for events to have more impact, as well as more ambiance then the dead silence of the foundation/surface/any location. This was most notable to me as during the (Wonderful) event that Nomad hosted, the usage of radios was smart. However I believe that this could have been avoided, possibly lessen lag with not having as many entities spawned, and even give the event even more charm. As well, it can be used to play custom audios for events, for instance: if I wanted to make myself a custom alarm. Like, a breach sound, but then it glitches out and instead a woman laughing evilly interrupts the announcement. Sure that sound effect could be played over with a soundboard, but the practicality of having a +playurl as well as how immersive it would make an event really outshines the idea of 'playing a sound effect with a sound-board'. Not to mention, Source has poor management with voice-chat, and so any sound effects done may possibly break or be interrupted.

Others may say to just play a sound through Pac, to which I'd also argue that what if one doesn't know or like pac3. I really believe that a command like +playurl will truly aid the server and allow for event quality to reach new heights.

An example of an event that I could do with +playurl could be a server wide event where a Foundation Convoy is sent to re-stock the facility, but then the CI or the GOC, or both then team up against the Foundation to steal supplies for themselves. This is more of a direct usage of the +playurl command, and so adrenaline-rushing music or something energetic could play while the three factions fight for the supplies to maintain their facilities. Another possible usage could be something emotional. For example: Lets assume I do something, and it has an over-arching story, and somehow people grow attached to a character. Sure the death may be just as impactful, but imagine listening to Deep Stone Lullaby or Saitama's Theme [Ballad Ver.] during this character's demise. It truly would make the scene more emotional.

As well, ways around the negatives could simply be higher regulations.
A few ideas for these rules can follow as: Events must have at least one-two ENTIRE factions participating in an event for music to be needed.
(The entirety of Foundation must be participating for it to be the entire faction.)
(The entirety of CI must be participating for it to be the entire faction.)
(The entirety of G.O.C and Pinewood must be participating for it to be the entire faction.)

As well, songs must be pre-approved by GM Supervisors, Server Leadership, and higher, for songs to be used an any sort of events. As well, songs must be approved AFTER the event itself is already approved.

Songs should generally not contain lyrics, and should mostly be instrumentals or ambiance, however if a GM truly wants for there to be lyrics, Supervisors+ can talk to Server Leadership to see if it would be allowed to be used, however this wouldn't guarantee that the song would be allowed.

A Volume Command to work alongside +playurl could work, with a command being !volume 1-100 to pick the music's volume.

Before playing music, or ambiance, or a Event-Related sound effect, GMs must warn in OOC 3 times in a row that music will be played. For example, something like

/ooc [MUSIC WILL PLAY IN 1 MINUTE, MAKE SURE TO SET VOLUME WITH !VOLUME 1-100]

Again, I truly believe this command can benefit the server, and slowly get other members to consider a roleplay aspect, beyond being hyper-aggressive and shooting whatever they see. Though it's no guarantee, a system like this has to be given a chance.

A Reminder: As well, this isn't something that must be added right away, regardless of 'how easy it could be made'. It is simply to suggest and give ideas as to why something like this can benefit the servers.

MrSiens

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Mar 21, 2022
-Support

We can already do this using PAC3 Websound, which has a LOT of customisation options and wouldnt play to the entire server.
"Not wanting to use pac3" for no good reason is not enough to add a command for this that would be very disruptive to everyone NOT seeing the thing you are playing music for.

The command would be less customisable and more disruptive than simply doing it via PAC3, even if you yourself do not wish to work out how, the GM team of both servers would be more than capable of simply making it for you if you need something like this.

There is just no good reason in my eyes to add this, and it would be an active detriment to immersion.

Pierre

Civil Gamers Expert
Mar 21, 2022
-Support

We can already do this using PAC3 Websound, which has a LOT of customisation options and wouldnt play to the entire server.
"Not wanting to use pac3" for no good reason is not enough to add a command for this that would be very disruptive to everyone NOT seeing the thing you are playing music for.

The command would be less customisable and more disruptive than simply doing it via PAC3, even if you yourself do not wish to work out how, the GM team of both servers would be more than capable of simply making it for you if you need something like this.

There is just no good reason in my eyes to add this, and it would be an active detriment to immersion.

Did you notice the parts mentioned where you could only use it if it was a large scale event?
I'm not saying it would be used in a small room with 2 passive roleplayers, but for large scenes where hordes of enemies are coming in, and everyone's fighting tooth and nail to combat them, or if a terrifying SCP breaches, and it's up to everyone to terminate it. That sort of thing. Music wouldn't play if there's a "very intense water-leak".

verybobby

MRP War Criminal
Donator
Oct 10, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Pierre,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion. There is currently a tool for game masters primarily to do something similar in development, therefore we won't be considering this suggestion at the time.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Reactions: Pierre
Status
Not open for further replies.