Accepted New Radio DJ/TV or News Station job

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

Mar 28, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Adds a new job where players can host their own radio station or TV stations and people can buy radios or TV's to listen/watch the broadcast. DJ's could play music as well as broadcast their voice and anyone else who's in proximity of the radio mic. TV station would be similar where you could either have a stationary camera the player could move with their physgun or have two players for the job 1. where they can carry the camera as some sort of SWEP and 2. could be the reporter. Depending on whether or not they want to be more of an action news station or some other kind of TV station.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
I don't believe so.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Increases interaction with other players without needing to be in proximity to them. For example, businesses can hire the radio stations to make live advertisements, the hosts can interview people who have some interesting RP. Like let's say people are protesting the government for whatever reason they could talk on the show and try to rally more people to their cause without just making another advert. The possibilities for RP are very broad and I've played on a few servers that have this feature and it's always super fun. On top of that people could request songs and the DJ could play whatever vibe/theme they're feeling. Something along these same lines could work with the News Station reporter/cameraman job too.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
Besides the obvious things like players trolling with music or mic spamming with it (which could be amended by banning players from the job or allowing it to be demoted by vote), it could also be difficult to implement or possibly a little laggy I'm not sure as I don't have much experience with developing for gmod. Also it could be a little bit of time sink where other features could be implemented, it really depends on how long it would take to implement something like this (although I'm sure there a mods that have already been made for stuff like this).

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I think overall some sort of media job like I've suggested results in a net positive for the server. It allows people who are basing to stay informed about what's happening around town (if not informed then entertained), and provides more ways for players to RP and interact with each other. Radio DJ jobs are super fun in my experience and always provide a unique way to interact with the rest of the server. This may be a dumb suggestion but I think it could add a lot and am super interested in hearing what everybody else thinks about it or if they would want to tweak some parts of my suggestion.

Captain Obvious

Administrator
Administrator
DarkRP Staff
Resources Team
Donator
Mar 5, 2022
United Kingdom
+ Support

It could be a broad sort of job, like the TV reporter we had a few years ago. You can mix a few different kinds of RP in it, from the DJ host, to a TV reporter and following people around with a camera and making some fun, to a journalist. Lots of RP potential!

Beast

Feb 25, 2023
+Support

For the same reasons Captain Obvious mentioned, it would be good to broaden with loads of RP potential.

Ellie

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Group Moderator
Feb 21, 2021
Suggestion Accepted

Hi @Shrimp

Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion.

We would love to see this job on the server. Some parts of this will require some dev time - I have added it to the backlog so that we can work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.