[USA] Executive Researcher Dr. Mizrachi Level 2 Appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golani

Dec 18, 2023
Dr. Omer Mizrachi's Clearance 4 removal Appeal

Name: Dr. Mizrachi
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:141804280
Please state if it is for SCP-RP UK or USA: USA
Level of appeal (2 or 3): 2
Have you already carried out a level 1 appeal - please give details:

Yes I did. It was mainly a bunch of back and forth with me and my department director regarding whether what I did related to my competence as a researcher.
1709945469366.png
1709945528067.png
Who did you carry out the level 1 appeal to, and where: Department Director Dr. Akura Ovaiss
Rank demoted from: Executive Researcher
Who demoted you?: Dr. Akura Ovaiss
Date of demotion?: 3/8/2024
What is the case against you?: That I am unknowledgable on the research department guidelines
Is this true?: No
Prior to this demotion, have you ever been demoted?: No

What is your side of the story?:

Background

I am very thorough with my understanding of department regulations. On 3/8/2024, I was reading through the Sample Collection Policies. I noticed something very interesting while reading about SCP-939 specific sampling procedure:

1709946137183.png

Figure 1: SCP-939 sampling collection process steps from Sample Collection Policies

As shown in figure 1, it states that when approaching E-11, an authorization form is required OR the presence of MTF/Any CL4. I thought this was interesting due to the department policy stating such:

1709946455791.png

Figure 2: Portion from section 1.02 of Research Policy regarding the sampling of anomalies

There is a clear contradiction here as in the Research Policy, it states the ANY sampling of anomalies requires a document, while in Sample Collection Policies it says no such document is required as long as the following conditions are met:
  • Presence of a non-E-11 MTF
  • Presence of a CL4 holder
I saw this, and thought this was a logical exception to the general blanket research policy regarding sampling (Figure 2). 939 Samples are primarily used to make amnestics, not just to research on, so having a mandated research study be done each time even for the purpose of amnestics seems excessive. It states here very clearly:

1709946972880.png
Figure 3: SCP-939 sampling collection approval reasons/requirements from Sample Collection Policies

Figure 3 shows that only 1 out of the 4 reasons someone would be sampling SCP-939 is for research study.

Now, as I established, that documentation is not required as long as the conditions mentioned in Figure 1 are met, which are meant due to my being a CL4 holder, I went to go sample SCP-939.

The Incident

I did the standard procedure of sampling SCP-939, which involved me getting 2 D-Class personnel, and an armed GSD of level 2 clearance. We made our way to Heavy Containment, and were stopped by E-11, who asked for documentation. I told him that I am just doing a SCP-939 sampling for the purpose of Class-A Amnestics, and that as a clearance 4 I don't require authorization regarding such a sampling, referring to the Sample Collection Policies, specifically the one shown in Figure 1. I was denied access, and asked to speak to his CO, who gave me the same answer, after also presenting Figure 1. I promptly left after this, and messaged my department director looking for clarification, as perhaps I might have interpreted it wrongly.

1709947821054.png

After which I was swiftly given my demotion, with the reason being the fact that I don't have an understanding of basic guidelines. I don't see how it is inappropriate to get clarification on grey area. I was going to make the suggestion to clear up this grey area once I understood what the Department Director had to say about it, but instead, I was immediately stripped of my clearance.

I swiftly began my Level 1 appeal

Level 1 Appeal
1709948276488.png

Akura argues "show appropriate Authorization form" in response to Figure 1, which the entire purpose I sent was for the second part, which implies that an authorization form is not needed in the presence of Clearance 4.

1709948537714.png

He then quotes section 1.05, which essentially means the same thing when it comes to section 1.02 (Figure 2), as it just restates 1.02. as evident when it says, "is still required". I then tell him that I understand the mistake that I made due to my misinterpretation on the matter, and that an incident like this would never be repeated, but still try to sell some understanding on why something like this happened in the first place.

1709948974237.png

He then went back to accuse me that I had used AI tools to generate my application, which I argued with him for a while, which I don't get how was relevant as at the start he stated that he "looked over it", and that the reason of my demotion was due to my "lack of knowledge on our guidelines", which he states in the above screenshot. I then suggested that rather it being an issue regarding my knowledge on a rule that EVERYONE knows, research or not, maybe it was a problem with the documents not being clear enough. I gave him the suggestion to change the wording in Figure 1.

After this, we just went back and forth about the same stuff, after which in the end, I was told to make a Level-2 demotion appeal.

Final Remarks
Near the end mentioned that he was advised by Site Admin and across site Department Leadership, and did not make this decision alone, so this appeal is also to those of you who advised my demotion. Perhaps in light of my side of the story, we can undo a wrong that was done on me, due to a communication error. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Attachments

• 1709947790907.png
    1709947790907.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 13

Dr. Ternith Plague

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Dec 13, 2023
Greetings.

I'm here to state my reasons for removing Dr. Mizrachi from the Executive Team.

Omer was not removed for only his lack of knowledge of general Research Policies (as listed here), he was removed due to an oversight by a previous Director on his application. A fresh enough oversight to warrant further investigation. Said oversight was detected in AI generation on his application - with enough detection to, as said earlier, warrant further investigation and suspicion. While on its own, it is not a reason to deny an application, as even I can admit these things are not perfect, however, I will state a quote Site Advisor Darby spoke regarding this situation:
I told Akura to watch him closely instead of going back to deal with it immediately, and base things on his performance. This is because AI detectors are notoriously oversensitive and unreliable in detection. I have just combed through the app myself. The grammar is too impeccable even for something proof'd by grammarly. Coming from someone claiming to need help? It's all AI. Were research in a better spot, I would have had him removed immediately. I leave it to Akura to decide whether or not to punish him for the deceit and let him continue or to remove him altogether.
As such, after receiving reports concerning the situation, and addressing it (as shown in the above appeal), I ultimately decided to remove Dr. Mizrachi from the Executive Team. Depending on the circumstances, he is free to reapply in four weeks should this appeal be denied, however, I would be glad to discuss this with the O5 Council.

The results of the AI generation checks are below:
603b5c563c0eaedac5ee44b0dd2f9a48.png
f4c18d4a3410da40d4d4e20af871075c.png
9ce389456d5e8b7ef96aac2507ac6386.png

Zero Hero

Civil Gamers Expert
Feb 15, 2022
1710028929138.png
putting the question in chat gpt prints almost your exact response. even if ai content detectors arent always reliable, the comparison is almost a carbon copy.

Golani

Dec 18, 2023
From what I can tell in your response, rather than addressing the reason you claimed to have taken away my position, which was not having an understanding of the basic guidelines, you are conveniently now trying to divert the reasoning to my application being written by AI. Whether this is the case is NOT related to your demotion reasoning, as you made very clear:

1710032211874.png
1710032228816.png
1710032248544.png

Until you are able to properly address my appeal, which was not related to the AI portion, as you have made it very clear that it was NOT the reason that I received the demotion, everything you said in your reply except:
"removed for only his lack of knowledge of general Research Policies"
is not relevant to my appeal.

Now it is evident to me from your response that this was not some communication error, but some degree of bias is at work. You first say that the AI generation is to be overlooked, then when I challenge your demotion reasons you fall back on it. This is dishonest and unprofessional conduct.

Last edited:

Harold Hawks

Staff of the week!
Staff of the Week
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Resources Team
Mar 12, 2023
America
Hey there,

As one of the many advisers to Akura on the debate topic of your demotion in the department leaders channel, I’ll be making a statement.

During my time on site as an IA Director, I have had no issue with AI being used for lore purposes. However, when your entire application is made using AI, it shouts to me that you aren’t actually interested in making an honest attempt. I believe I told Akura (though if I didn’t then I meant to) that it’s unacceptable for an application to be made fully out of AI and that demotion is probably necessary because of this fact alone. It was an oversight that needed correction.

You are the one who made your demotion appeal about the failure to understand our sampling guidelines when that is only part of the issue. The crux is that you falsified your application, which is unacceptable. When someone uses AI on their application, here’s what I tell them: Give it an honest try. People will appreciate it more that way. They’re more forgiving than you think.

When your four week prohibition period is up, I recommend you do just that.

Golani

Dec 18, 2023
You are the one who made your demotion appeal about the failure to understand our sampling guidelines when that is only part of the issue. The crux is that you falsified your application, which is unacceptable.
This is a false statement. Akura themselves said that they are “able to ignore” the ai bit, with the issue being the latter. I did not make this about the sample procedure, they did, and that’s what I’m here to appeal as I feel it’s an unfair assessment.

Harold Hawks

Staff of the week!
Staff of the Week
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Resources Team
Mar 12, 2023
America
In his reply to you he specifically outlines that it is one of the main reasons as to why you were removed.
This is a false statement. Akura themselves said that they are “able to ignore” the ai bit, with the issue being the latter. I did not make this about the sample procedure, they did, and that’s what I’m here to appeal as I feel it’s an unfair assessment.

Harold Hawks

Staff of the week!
Staff of the Week
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Resources Team
Mar 12, 2023
America
I replied to that and called out his dishonesty in that regard
Ah I see now that he didn't mention that in his response to your level 1. I see why this would pose an issue for you, apologies. I still holdfast that AI applications are dishonest in and of themselves but again, I can see why lack of mentioning that may cause confusion when it's meant to be one of the main reasons for your removal.

Golani

Dec 18, 2023
Ah I see now that he didn't mention that in his response to your level 1. I see why this would pose an issue for you, apologies. I still holdfast that AI applications are dishonest in and of themselves but again, I can see why lack of mentioning that may cause confusion when it's meant to be one of the main reasons for your removal.
Yes, he mentioned it but said that he was able to overlook it and it’s not the demotion reason, however in this level 2 appeal uses it as his main point.

Sylveon

Game Master
Game Master
Jul 25, 2022
1otlogofulltransparenttback.png
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Warning: Message Received... Processing Message.

Incoming Message from: @kennedy.inspector@scip
To: Dr. Mizrachi

Greetings, Mizrachi, after a dissection of this appeal, as well as the information presented towards it, I have come upon the following decisions.

1. The Demotion happened due to AI being utilized within your application.
2. The Demotion happened due to improper knowledge of research guidelines.

Considering these two points, as they have been given, I will relay a verdict appropriate to each point, as such, I will start with Point 1.

Within my opinion, the usage of AI within appropriate resources is a bit unbecoming, especially for a Role that requires relatively creative writing. One thing I will have to consider, is the following... Did you cause any issues, where you a problem child, did you not roleplay, so on and so forth.

Point 2, is a bit difficult for me to grapple, as reading through your messages, you where trying to point out a potential loop hole or gimmick within the ScD policies, not to mention I only see the one conversation about you not knowing ScD Policy, as such I have to side with the second point being faulty and not considerable for a demotion reason.

With this being said, I am willing to provide you an alternative, I want verification you can write up an application without AI. As such, If you can write me an Application, and send it to me via Discord (lesylveon) so I can review it, then I believe you can be re-instated.

I will also mention, if you can also back up evidence in game that you provided roleplay documentation that wasn't AI driven, that will also help your case.

Glory to the Foundation, Signed O5-4.

Sylveon

Game Master
Game Master
Jul 25, 2022
1otlogofulltransparenttback.png
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Warning: Message Received... Processing Message.

Incoming Message from: @kennedy.inspector@scip
To: Dr. Mizrachi

Greetings, Mizrachi, I have finalized my investigation and came to a conclusion regarding your demotion appeal.

For Count 1 of Utilize AI Content for your application. Although this is a weird topic, I do find you guilty of this count.

For Count 2, not knowing Research Policy, I find you Not Guilty due to the insufficient evidence provided which boils down to a possible miss communication.

To note, During this investigation I was provided an argument about you Lying regarding your AI Usage, as well as an incident caused by GOC. This however, has not warranted much evidence, and after talking with GOC, I was unable to pin point any information. Same for the Lying part, I was unable to locate any reliable evidence.

Due to this, I have come to a Verdict.

APPEAL ACCEPTED

I will warn you however, due to the points provided, you will be monitored on your conduct on site, as well as documentation or general roleplay you contribute. As an Executive Researcher, we want in game level documents to be untouched by AI, as it deprives from the plausible roleplay you can produce, as well as provides an easy option to be Lazy.

I would also advise trying to avoid utilizing AI in the future for your Applications, although not a super big issue for Junior CL4 Positions, it will be very frowned upon for Department Leaders as well as other specialized positions.

Regardless, your re-activation as an Executive Research has been communicated to the Director, and you may pick back up your whitelist and roles in game.

Glory to the Foundation, Signed O5-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.