Partially Accepted Tesla Sabotage/Breaking

Content that has been partially accepted
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Either of, or both, or some adaptation of the following new features for Tesla gates:
  • Individual Tesla gates can be hacked, similar to turrets, with the option to disable, fire sporadically, or be hostile to humans - the latter either hitting the next person to go through until fixed, or anyone that goes through for the next X seconds
  • Individual Tesla gates can break, needing repair using a repair tool. When broken, they do something along the lines of firing sporadically but not auto-triggering for any reason (proximity or SCP)
With either of these, this sound effect could be used to indicate something's wrong/it's broken/it has been trapped/whatever: https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/1YJxuN7hXKIqKD/d1337dmr3Dx1?invite=cr-MSxVZUgsMjAwNzIzMzgwLA - this already exists in the content pack, but I don't believe it's currently used.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Not that I could find.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • [If needing repair] Adds another thing for E&TS to repair/do
  • [If hackable] Adds another tactic for 079 and humans to use
  • Makes breaches more interesting/variable
  • Reuses some content and design elements that already exist (audio, hacking options)

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Makes 079 slightly more powerful - though it would need to be using it's time on these rather than e.g. hacking out SCPs, so it's a trade-off
  • Dev time
  • People might die to Tesla gates and get mad (funny)

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
It adds another variable element to the map and just makes things more interesting. If it's hackable, it also makes 079 breaches and PvP fighting more interesting around Tesla gates, as someone might trap them or use them as a distraction.

Reactions: Lord Mirai (未来)

Lord Mirai (未来)

Junior Developer
Junior Developer
Programming Team
Game Master
Jan 5, 2021
Romania
I like this.

Edit: the idle sound does play and loop when you're close to the active tesla, it's not unused

Last edited:

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
I like this.

Edit: the idle sound does play and loop when you're close to the active tesla, it's not unused
I will have to check that out, I swear I've never heard it on CN, usually if you're near a Tesla, it's never idle, it's just constantly firing

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
Not a huge fan of this idea for a couple reasons the main ones being lag and how useless 99% of tech experts are (sorry zen). There's also the potential issue of zoning people because unlike scps humans cannot take a tesla hit so they're effectively trapped which could become annoying

Kree

May 17, 2023
Can you explain how the Tesla gates would break?
By shooting them, SCPs breaking them, Hacking them or they just randomly break?

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
+support add a little server room in that door next to the tesla gates at every checkpoint which has a hackable part to enable hostile tesla targeting, it'd be a fun change

Lord_Fr3ze

Senior Developer
Senior Developer
Mapping Team
Content Team
Jan 3, 2022
+support add a little server room in that door next to the tesla gates at every checkpoint which has a hackable part to enable hostile tesla targeting, it'd be a fun change

Teslas don't even target, they just charge up and fire when someone steps near them.

We don't have to add a entire room for one hacking box, can just add it near the tesla and done.

• Wow
Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
Can you explain how the Tesla gates would break?
By shooting them, SCPs breaking them, Hacking them or they just randomly break?
From being hacked, or following a power surge (SCP breach random power outages), or maybe after a Tesla has fired too many times (so something like, every 50 or so fires, it has a chance to break).

Joris "Brexit" Bohnson

Sep 10, 2023
+Support for them breaking or being hacked by CI

+/- for them breaking for that long, should be much shorter considering that they'd block any human movement past it

-Support for 079 being able to hack them. Would be too powerful

Bush von Mann

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 12, 2022
+/- for them breaking for that long, should be much shorter considering that they'd block any human movement past it
However you have to factor in the fact that the hack will be very difficult. Having a very hard hack only work for a very short amount of time won't be beneficial, and might veer people away from actually doing the hack since it's just not worth it.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
However you have to factor in the fact that the hack will be very difficult. Having a very hard hack only work for a very short amount of time won't be beneficial, and might veer people away from actually doing the hack since it's just not worth it.
I feel like if the hacking works the same as turrets, both in terms of options and difficulty, it shouldn't really be an issue. Turrets you can already do, and they're in the same sort of area as teslas are, it's just another option and isn't really any more of a problem than turrets.

Reactions: Bush von Mann

david king

May 24, 2022

+support looks fun as hell which is what the server needs it can also be incorporated into in game strategy and tactics which would build a brand new game play loop for roles such as ci nu 7 e11 scps etc. also enchances skill based features such as hacking which is a integral part of CI.​

Status
Not open for further replies.