Pending Review Remove Sniper jobs

On-Hold and / or under current review, please allow us time.

Dr Random K.

Game Master
Game Master
Oct 8, 2023
Site 54
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Remove Sniper Rifles from Whitelists entirely
(Maybe replace them with DMRs + a viable primary weapon (ARX for low spread?))

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Didn’t find anything

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
- Nobody likes getting oneshot from a place you cant even see
- More balanced surface combat
-> More than 4 people will have fun on surface
- I hear complaints about sniper rifles on surface on a daily basis, would stop those

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
- less realism
- no more sniping, which can sometimes be fun
- indirect buff for short ranged SCPs on surface
- indirect buff for juggernauts on surface
- indirect buff for Type Blue on surface

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Frankly, sniper jobs are only enjoyable for those who play them. Surface combat is completely dominated by those who play on marksman jobs and not a day goes by when I play CI or DEA that I don’t hear someone complain about snipers.
It simply isn’t a lot of fun to get sniped across half the map from some weird angle without much counterplay available, there just isn’t enough cover for that due to the nature of the map, an open wasteland.
I feel like not having snipers would make combat on surface far more enjoyable for the vast majority of players, aka those who aren’t on the marksman/field agent slots.

And in case anyone says this is a cope suggestion: I usually get preyy good K/Ds, Im not really coping because I die to them too much
From my experience most of the good sniper players agree that snipers are busted, which is why they still play on them.

EDIT:
A possible replacement could be giving them the SCAR-H, VKS or some other kind of DMR while also giving them a good primary weapon like the ARX which has low spread and is thus good for surface combat.
Alternatively, if you still want to keep snipers, you could nerf them heavily by reducing their magazine size to 1 or 2, making them more of a secondary weapon to open a fight or take out a priority target, before then having long reload time that allows for pushing toward the sniper’s location.

Last edited:

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
+Support
sounds awful.
balance should come before anything else

Sylveon

Game Master
Game Master
Jul 25, 2022
When it boils down to it, I have avidly disliked Sniper Combat. I understand its place as being able to take off high value targets, but when one sniper, even while being fired at by an entire fire team, can still take 3 of them off before dying, it just isn't a fun balance.

I personally would love snipers to be removed from loadouts all together, and if you want to one shot some one, freedoms and sanctums, which cost 20 to 25k would maintain a solid balance and help prevent money funneling.

I will +Support this.

Bohemia

Oct 23, 2022
+ Support
Fuck you. Denied.
(Just add ceramic armour from MRP, I guarantee this fixes half of the problems with snipers but god forbid surface combat is enjoyable!)

Reactions: Harold Hawks

pinhead

Jan 27, 2023
+ big giant support

Literally all I want is this, snipers are the worst part of combat on this server besides chokepoints. If you want the dopamine hit of one-taps just use a freedom, at least you are risking something that way. Replace em with DMRs or something, just GET RID OF THEM FOR GODS SAKE!

Reactions: Dr Random K.

Landon

Nov 30, 2022
+support
Me when I get one shot from a guy halfway across the map

Terible

Jul 17, 2023
+support
As someone who has mained surface in prob every possible way despite goc I fully agree with everything said. Snipers ruin the fun of surface rifle to rifle fight is definitely more balanced and atleast give a chance to opponents, while, on the other hand, sniper are quite LITTERALY invincible from long distance and don’t offer any counter attack most of the time.

Shark

Jun 4, 2023
+SUPPORT

Hello US SOP Department leader here, snipers are ass. I've held this opinion for a year+ (basically as long as I've played this server.) The only reason I've somewhat recently asked content team to give DEA snipers back is because we have to fight against them 24/7. Snipers aren't good for surface combat nor on-site combat. I've been on both ends of the sniper gameplay and it isn't fun. It isn't rewarding when you one shot body shot some poor CI-A across the map because he didn't realize the entirety of surface is in range of your sniper and his shitty rifle isn't able to do anything against you besides tickle you for 2 damage.

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022
+ Support
Fuck you. Denied.
(Just add ceramic armour from MRP, I guarantee this fixes half of the problems with snipers but god forbid surface combat is enjoyable!)
I agree with Bohemia. Add Ceramic armor. It's a good way to deal with it without removing it. Though if it can't be added (for SOME reason) yeah remove snipers.

When it comes to surface combat (least in US mostly because someone decided to only let there be 50 NU7) CI outnumbers foundation, so they don't really NEED snipers, and foundation can just call for DEA flagup if necessary, so they don't NEED snipers either. (GOC is PAC3 team they don't count)

So getting rid of the COD quickscope montage classes won't really hurt anyone.

Retiredintheheadx3

Feb 10, 2023
+support

people complain about 1 shot snipers and then want them removed

but then go "erm i dont want MY 1 shot sniper class removed only THEIRS"

if they remove all of them or just make then not 1 shot then they can actually just be an enjoyable part of the game that isnt
"Oh sorry, you see, the reason you died is cause you just happened to be in the wrong part of the map and nothing else. Cause you see, theres one person at borderline render range headglitching with an SVD, therefor you arent allowed to have fun or play the game"

Multigraphics

Oct 1, 2023
+ support

Being shot from seemingly nowhere can be a pain and a nuisance when trying to travel to a location on surface. Teh removing of sniper rifles would indeed help gun to gun closer combat on surface. I dont liek the sniper rifles in my opinion because you can basically get sniped across the map if you position it right.

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022
+support

people complain about 1 shot snipers and then want them removed

but then go "erm i dont want MY 1 shot sniper class removed only THEIRS"

if they remove all of them or just make then not 1 shot then they can actually just be an enjoyable part of the game that isnt

"Oh sorry, you see, the reason you died is cause you just happened to be in the wrong part of the map and nothing else. Cause you see, theres one person at borderline render range headglitching with an SVD, therefor you arent allowed to have fun or play the game"
I would even say readd the semi auto marksman rifle we had on special agent, just change CI marksman to a semi auto same for NU7. I noticed the rifle wasn't BAD it just wasn't good when facing CI Marksman. I think this would better enable gunplay while not completely removing ranged combat.

Reactions: Multigraphics

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022
A question for the thread: What about the sanctum, Mk18, and freedom sr? Sanctum isn't long range but it's similar usage, I don't think they should go but figured have it in the discussion.