Denied GOC Full/Partial Model Rework

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosey | Curious

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jul 20, 2021
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
  • Either fully rework the GOC models to be a set theme if easier, or at least update the models to be more varied/match a set theme. The current GOC has one model shared by 3 roles, Recruit, Thaum, and Field Op. This model itself looks pretty good, and it's clear it sets a system for how the models should look. This is continued with the Engineer and Jugg models. Where things break down is with a few set models that look so bad that it genuinely disincentives play on that role. These models are:
  • 1) UNGOC Soldier, both parts. The first model looks like a man wearing a top hat, and while it is similar to the Jug model, it just looks so much worse. The second option is similarly cluttered and looks like a model from Metal Gear Solid. These two models appear to be intended for use as one of the suit types that GOC deploys, with the second possibly being a grey suit. In practice, a regular soldier wearing these would look very out of place when the other similar roles, such as Medic and Field Op, look so similar and usual
1706823295245.png1706823379822.png
  • 2) UNGOC Officer. This is in my opinion the worst model, and is a displeasure to behold every morning logging on. The back view, attached below, speaks for itself in my opinion, with numerous clipping issues and the weirdly fitting coat, however, the front also makes no sense. All other GOC models but this and the assessment team (which isn't great looking itself in my opinion)have concealed faces, but the officer simply has cheap orange sunglasses. I would suggest having the coat removed in favor of a more armored body similar to other MTFs and CI.
1706823749099.png1706823768986.png1706823791795.png
  • 3) UNGOC Marksman. For a similar reason as the soldier, this model is supposed to be a power armored suit, instead of a marksman. Even if it is supposed to be a marksman, it just looks tacky and cluttered compared to other models on the server and sticks out like a sore thumb in a lineup of GOC.
1706823907689.png
  • I believe that these models take away from the attractiveness of being in the GOC, as nobody wants to look bad standing next to the rest of the regiments in the server. Many of the other models have issues like this but are more popular with the rest of the GOC, so I can't say they are as bad as these. The above models however are explicitly against the reasonable lore of the roles they are attached to, and as such should be changed or at least edited to look better
  • There is also the issue of several models having full on info breaches on them, such as Chemist having a GOC logo, and Medic having the 4th of the fivefold missions printed on it

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • More interest in joining the GOC. While GOC is already a relatively attractive faction to join, if they had much more popular models, such as Strike Teams (which I know is just a COD operator but it is our best-looking one) would likely get players more interested in joining, it as opposed to seeing a group of tackily dressed people march into site
  • Would improve RP in the GOC, as the only models that looked like the power armor would possess improved survivability (Jug and Orange Suit)

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • In the event of a full model rework to look more in line with other Regiments such as O-1, E-11, and CI, people may lose models they already really like. This would be true for the strike team, which is well-loved, but many others also enjoy the mundane models such as Thaum or Engineer. This can be mitigated by either keeping some of the more popular models as long as they fit in with the new ones or by taking the more well-liked elements of the old models and merging them with new ones
  • Could be very difficult to find enough models to easily fit in one group. There are several good models on the workshop however, that are very similar to existing ones, that could be used to diversify the GOC model roster
1706824399608.png
Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
  • Would make GOC look more intimidating and imposing, as opposed to the plastic soldier effect we currently have. It would also make more RP sense with no random power armor suits that don't provide actual benefits

[EDIT]

I have since found some models that I would suggest as replacements if only to show the general idea behind this suggestion. I will link 3 of them, but there is a host of others by the same author. These would also fit in with the Strike Team mode, allowing it to be kept. Please suggest other models in comments if you feel some others would fit better

Last edited:

Bohemia

Oct 23, 2022
+ Support
Couldn't bring myself to play on Soldier when I was in GOC, model is just awful
(Also strike team chad division model my beloved)

Last edited:

Nosey | Curious

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jul 20, 2021
+ Support
Couldn't bring myself to play on Soldier when I was in GOC, model is just awful
I wake up every morning angry that the Officer has such a good gun but i have to look at it as i run

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
+Support
I agree with your reasoning, but do you have any examples or suggestions as to what to change the models to?

I've seen a fair few model change suggestions and unfortunately where they just tend to say "Change the model," usually CT's response is that they want to see a suggestion for what to change it to - Even though you've pointed out specific flaws with each, so far the only models that you've given clear direction on what specifically should be altered to what, are the coat on the officer, as well as the infobreach parts of Medic and R&D/Chemist model.

I think putting forward some more specifics on what should change to what and just more direction for the modellers in general, rather than just saying what could be interpreted along the lines of "Hey, this sucks, here's some examples why, change it," might help your suggestion.

The Guardian

Sep 22, 2023
I love the Officer long coat ?? hate the glasses though.

Honestly, half of us have pac for this reason. Marksman could definitely be made sleeker, and the info breaches need to be dealt with.

Sadly, I highly doubt this will be accepted. Very simplistic models have been asked for before and been denied. If the GoIs are to receive any updates, I'd rather it be base updates.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
+Support
I don't even play GOC and I support this. Half the models look absolute dogshit, way worse than like any other model on the server, while a few actually look really good (though their colour scheme could do with being more consistent to make the faction easier to identify).

Guinea

Jun 24, 2022
+ Support
Game breaking, make sure to remove the head hit box for goc officer

Nosey | Curious

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jul 20, 2021
+Support
I agree with your reasoning, but do you have any examples or suggestions as to what to change the models to?

I've seen a fair few model change suggestions and unfortunately where they just tend to say "Change the model," usually CT's response is that they want to see a suggestion for what to change it to - Even though you've pointed out specific flaws with each, so far the only models that you've given clear direction on what specifically should be altered to what, are the coat on the officer, as well as the infobreach parts of Medic and R&D/Chemist model.

I think putting forward some more specifics on what should change to what and just more direction for the modellers in general, rather than just saying what could be interpreted along the lines of "Hey, this sucks, here's some examples why, change it," might help your suggestion.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2829204868

This has a single model, but it is highly customizable so could be used for multiple

Researchers

Regular UN soldiers could look likethis

For a more technological theme, which i personally like, as well as a total reshuffle, would be these prehaps

These bottom addons are a good choice in my opinion, as they look pretty great, and the author has made a large number of them, allowing for customization, such as a Jug Model (I cant post them all but check out his addons page)

Reactions: Emilia Foddg

Archangel

Civil Gamers Expert
Sep 21, 2021
small comment but im pretty sure the first soldier model and the juggernaut are from Wolfenstein, their gear is very familiar to the Wolfenstein German soldier gear if not it is them literally but editted heavily

Cheddar

Junior Developer
Junior Developer
Artist Team
Jan 1, 2022
Unless you can get those file sizes down, they won't get accepted, the total size being around 1.7GB, but if you can get those down to around the same or below as the current models you'd have a better chance.

Nosey | Curious

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jul 20, 2021
Unless you can get those file sizes down, they won't get accepted, the total size being around 1.7GB, but if you can get those down to around the same or below as the current models you'd have a better chance.
I unfortunately don't know how to do this, I assume our development team would be able to compress the files relatively easily?

Cheddar

Junior Developer
Junior Developer
Artist Team
Jan 1, 2022
They would need to reduce texture size as a start, but even if all were compressed, there's still a chance that the model size itself would be quite large due to them being from MW3, high poly count models tend to tank performance, especially when there's a lot of them.

Reactions: Emilia Foddg

Ace 63

Nov 21, 2023
+Support
-Fix or UN-F relations plummet after I kidnap a UN officer and force them to pay for pac ?

Auburn

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Group Moderator
Jan 2, 2023
Suggestion Denied

Hi Picklee,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion due to the following reasons.

Currently, we do not have an Art Developer on the team with the experience needed to tackle this project. We do not believe it would be a good use of dev time if accepted, and we try to avoid using workshop addons for server content where possible.

If you would like to commission your own models to suggest for addition, that is fully within your rights to do so. However, there is no guarantee they will be accepted if you do. If you wish to pursue that route, please do so in conjunction with the SL team and both server's UNGOC leadership teams.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.