Pending Review Ideas for Non-Combative uses of Warfunds

On-Hold and / or under current review, please allow us time.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023

Foreword

I'm aware that this is already a thing that is being looked into. The purpose of this post to try and gather some community ideas for this, so as to not have the burden be entirely on CT. Please leave this suggestion up and open for as long as ideas are needed.

What does this suggestion change/add/remove:

Ways in which warfunds can be used for non-combative purposes - These could include:
  • This would be used similarly to the syringe, to get samples from SCPs that a regular syringe would reasonably not be strong enough to get samples from. This could for example, include the planned chem samples for 7722.
  • You know how ammo carepackages can give ammo resupply X amount of times? What if you had one that gives say, the clipboard SWEP, X amount of times? Feels a little goofy having like, 10 clipboards be airdropped in, but it's an idea, I guess?

...Additionally, is it also possible to do something like !model with an entity interaction? (I imagine so, since 914 disguising is a thing) You could also recontextualise this as supplying F with some kind of uniform. For example, D-Block work program - You could have this drop only usable by D-Class (As in, the thing that drops as a result of the drop, not the drop option on the tac tablet. Although tbf, D-Class warfunds goes hard, could you imagine?), for them to get remodelled with their work program model. But yeah, the thing that you get airdropped, doesn't necessarily have to be a combative thing like weapons.

In either case with this, my thinking is that it would be airdropped in compound and then delivered into the facility to wherever it's needed.
  • (Idea from Painter) Variant of the containment beam that could be used to restore an SCP's bodymass by a fixed amount - With the idea that it would be used for tests or otherwise making deals with SCPs, for their co-operation. This would likely need a significant cooldown.
  • (Idea from John "Kratos" Freeman) This would be similar to a smoke strike, except it shouldn't obscure vision as much; Instead for the duration it's active, gives the amnestication notification ala Class A, to all within its radius.
Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
This is a direct follow-up to the partially accepted conclusion to the longstanding Warfunds debate which continued for almost a year, before finally coming to a resolution with the outcome of that suggestion.

However, in the resulting Github ticket, the implementation has been postponed by NL - This is ultimately because of an oversight on my part when I made the above suggestion; I failed to take into account that adding more features for combat situations, promoting these scenarios and surface combat in general, disrupts the balance between the combative and non-combative gameplay on the server, potentially being a repeat of when the D-Block riot system was introduced.

In this circumstance, find the action of postponing warfunds completely reasonable; If I had realised this at some point during the lifecycle of the prior suggestion, I would have definitely tried to write ways in which warfunds could be used combatively and stress that this balance should not be harmed. As such, I am making this post in an attempt to provide a way for the community to input - And hopefully gather useful ideas that may either be usable by, or otherwise inspire CT and help with the development process of this feature.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

• On top of being a non-combative option for warfunds which would promote RP, this could also be a way of balancing certain chems as well as chem recipes, by virtue of making certain samples hard to get. This would also provide reasonable cause to investigate sampleability of other SCPs that otherwise wouldn't or shouldn't be normally sampleable, such as 096 or 073. This also opens up flexibility for re-balancing existing chem recipes around the Heavy Duty Sampler
  • A way of resolving the issue with planned buyable clipboards - There are concerns with clipboard abusability if players were able to buy them straight from a dispenser, having them available via warfunds may be able to reasonably gate it off while having it be available as necessary. May be applicable to other SWEPs.

In terms of my other idea with this for facilitating the work program model - Would help with not needing staff to remodel D-Class, enhance that RP and make it more of a self-sufficient gameplay loop.
  • Would be used to make deals or test with SCPs.
  • A tool that F would reasonably have in their arsenal for use against civilian gatherings of significant size, related to anomalous behaviour - Especially considering that surface breaches are a thing and occasionally things like 323 or 8854 just walk around in plain view of civilians.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

• With the exception of 7722 (as there are already plans for what effects a 7722 chem would have), there would need to be further development into other chems that would be produced by this - For example, if it is decided that 096 could be sampled in this way, what chem(s) would it produce? How would that be balanced in a way that it is not extremely disruptive to server balance while still being worth it? There is also the concern that this promotes more (potentially exacerbating) sampling gameplay, an issue which is already quite prominent in the server; In that people mostly test just to sample.
  • Still issues with abusability from clipboards/remodels being obtainable in this way. May have issues with getting either to work properly.
  • Alongside being abusable, it has somewhat obvious combative uses, especially if combined with the CI Neuro Controller. May be too much.
  • Has very few use cases - Potentially detracts from DEA/Nu7 RP. Abusable. May be too difficult to reliably aim and hit.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

See, I can make helpful suggestions as well as confusing and frustrating ones.

Potential Arguments Against This & Rebuttals To Them:
  • I didn't say I was good at it ? I spent a few hours trying to think of things and I could only come up with two items. The primary intention of this suggestion is to hopefully get some ideas from the community and result in something useful for CT. If anyone has ideas for what else could be added, they're highly encouraged to reply with them.
  • That doesn't make the problem go away. The fact of the matter is, if you just throw a bunch of new combative-oriented features at the server, you of course are going to encourage more people to play combative roles over other ones. This is something that is not desired.
  • Yes. Although having them buyable via dispensers is, as of writing, still in the backlog - Also consider that HMod+ may not always be available to give someone a clipboard. Even though there have been past suggestions on the topic and concerns of abuse were raised - Especially considering that staff already have a hard time with extant abuse of VComputers. I'm hoping that being behind warfunds would be reasonable enough of a gate for it to be distributable in this way. ...Alternatively, people can just flag onto a job with a clipboard for their use purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rushi

Painter

Jun 18, 2023
[REDACTED]
SCP beam healer!! Allows SCPs to be healed up to 5000 or so HP! Random idea idk, could be used for weaponization or tests or something like that.

+support

Reactions: Zen

cityismy

May 10, 2023
+Support
I read allat this time, my brain is pretty dumb though so I did not comprehend half of the words used, nevertheless +Support

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
SCP beam healer!! Allows SCPs to be healed up to 5000 or so HP! Random idea idk, could be used for weaponization or tests or something like that.
I do personally like this idea, but I think the major problem with it is that - While it's not directly combative, it would like... Like, what's the SCP going to do with that health afterwards? Or even if it manages to breach during testing or w/e? It's most likely going to go out and seek combat. you do also specify weaponisation as a part of that which I think would contribute to it being used in combative capacities - i.e. If CI capture an SCP, buy a Neuro Controller, then buy this to heal it, that would just make the ensuing scenario last longer, because they have an entire SCP with them, with more health than it would have otherwise had normally.

You could make the argument that if and when F do trade an SCP to CI, they reduce its health anyway to take it out and hand over, so this would be used to bring its health back up to a more reasonable and usable value, which would encourage more SCP trades and this kind of part-RP, part-combat interaction as a result. And there's where I see a lot of the value of this idea. And admittedly, combat w/ SCPs is different between combat between factions, as it's less MRP-y. but it is still combat and I doubt that this is ultimately something that is desired. Again, I do like it for reasons I stated and because I'm a permissive goblin, but unfortunately probably is not what is being looked for, for this.

I did also ideate some SCP-related items other than sampling, but it ultimately leads back to promoting combat and combat situations, which... Again, they're probably not things that are completely closed off for the future - But probably not things that are needed or desired at this point in time.
+ Support
7722 chems when
Well, the Github ticket says it will apparently happen when chem rework is done. I don't know anything about internal discussions regarding that or how my idea for a Heavy Duty Sampler would interact or otherwise intersect with what is planned for chems - I imagine they're referring to the whole planned chem nerfs across the board via overdose (even if partially), but I think the idea would give them something to work with on the chems side.

But yeah, as I said, if like anyone has any other ideas for non-combative warfunds items that would promote RP, they should definitely put them forward for discussion. If you have an idea then it's better if you give your idea and it turns out to be bad, than if you don't give your idea at all. I actually had another idea while writing this, so I'll add that to the OP. I hope it'll be of any use.

Last edited:

John "Kratos" Freeman

Oct 10, 2022
+Support
I have thought of the idea of CI getting something like that will be able to give them "pure samples" and make more special chems as CI base is meant to be a chem base. This also works with the idea and i hope that it would be given to CI and GOC since foundation has the SCPs on site. maybe we could also have amnestic gas for GOC and foundation, planes dropping something on surface to get rid of a 008 breach on surface or anything like that. but otherwise from my shitty ideas this would help out for new types of chems and everything. (Edit: maybe make CI TB and GOC orange suit cost war funds. I know this would add more of a "combat" element to the suggestion but i think this would be a nice change.)

Last edited:

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022

+support
I'd say more like half or 25% of them depending on the SCP. Allow for easy balancing of healing. A scp like 8837 only getting 25% due to it's strength, meanwhile 939 can get 50%.

John "Kratos" Freeman

Oct 10, 2022

On top of being a non-combative option for warfunds which would promote RP, this could also be a way of balancing certain chems as well as chem recipes, by virtue of making certain samples hard to get. This would also provide reasonable cause to investigate sampleability of other SCPs that otherwise wouldn't or shouldn't be normally sampleable, such as 096 or​

Maybe this could be used with 939 to make like class G to class Z amnestics.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
I have thought of the idea of CI getting something like that will be able to give them "pure samples" and make more special chems as CI base is meant to be a chem base. This also works with the idea and i hope that it would be given to CI and GOC since foundation has the SCPs on site.
I do like this idea, but thinking about it, I think the idea of pure samples is a whole can of worms involving a more in-depth look at VCraft and the whole chems system. I would save it for another suggestion as that is a larger project than just this. But if and once that does happen, its interaction with warfunds could be revisited.
maybe we could also have amnestic gas for GOC and foundation
Again, I really like it, it would make sense for F & GOC to have a kind of smoke strike but is Class A - But I think it would detract too much from DEA/Nu7/GOC RP, the idea that you would have people raid civ locations to amnesticate them. Not particularly sure. Like, it would be good for large outdoor gatherings, I guess?
planes dropping something on surface to get rid of a 008 breach on surface or anything like that.

maybe make CI TB and GOC orange suit cost war funds. I know this would add more of a "combat" element to the suggestion but i think this would be a nice change.
Also like both of these - Having a foam airstrike for surface 008 breaches, would contribute to server health... Gating CI TB and OSuit behind warfunds would somewhat restrict their usage, but staff are looking into ways that reality benders can be fought; And OSuit being behind warfunds (as well as behind OSuit auth) is just extremely reasonable imo. But something feels off about it. I can't really say what, but I imagine if and when CT see this, they'll be able to tell better than I can. This is why I'm not CT.
I'd say more like half or 25% of them depending on the SCP. Allow for easy balancing of healing. A scp like 8837 only getting 25% due to it's strength, meanwhile 939 can get 50%.
Nooooooooooo, that's way too much, more like somewhere between 5% and 10% - Maybe more for 'weaker' SCPs like 939 (esp. terminable ones).
Maybe this could be used with 939 to make like class G to class Z amnestics.
So, past a certain class are mnestics; But also, like... Have you heard of 2140? I would consider that a class... O amnestic. Or something.

Last edited:

Auburn

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Group Moderator
Jan 2, 2023
Suggestion Up For Further Discussion

Hi Emilia,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to put your suggestion up for internal discussion.

While the Warfunds overhaul is being discussed, the ideas in this thread (where appropriate) will be looked at for inspiration and/or implementation.

Your suggestion will be tagged with the pending review flair and left up for players to continue to respond.​

Reactions: Emilia Foddg

Johnson J. Marauder

Jun 9, 2022
+Support

The SCP Heal feature would be really good for CI we could actually weaponize SCPs without doing @SL+ please!

CI-C Johnson J. Marauder
Alpha-1 CSG Marauder

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022
Again, I do personally like it and I think it was worth adding to the OP, but unfortunately I'm fairly certain that idea in particular may not be added for reasons I discuss above.
(Adding to the point you made of "what's the SCP going to do with it?")
Recently there was a approved suggestion that SCPs shouldn't spawn 100%hp just to breach during a breach/raid to encourage more rp with scps over breaching. This would be a perfect middleground and make it reasonably more difficult for CI to breach scps if they had to do a bit of prepwork on the SCP. I know people who can crack a lvl 4/5 hack out in a few seconds. This would be the perfect imo.

There's also the roaming SCPs like 912, 2295, 999. This would be perfect to use to heal them in the case D-Class are being rowdy.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
Recently there was a approved suggestion that SCPs shouldn't spawn 100%hp just to breach during a breach/raid to encourage more rp with scps over breaching. This would be a perfect middleground and make it reasonably more difficult for CI to breach scps if they had to do a bit of prepwork on the SCP. I know people who can crack a lvl 4/5 hack out in a few seconds. This would be the perfect imo.

There's also the roaming SCPs like 912, 2295, 999. This would be perfect to use to heal them in the case D-Class are being rowdy.
I definitely agree. It would synergise well with that change and make SCP breaching more dynamic to player activity, rather than just being purely based off of population. I can't really think of anything to say against this.

Last edited:

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
+support i like the SCP healing paratech thingamabob as it'll let CI actually re-breach SCPs with a significant amount of HP without GM help

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
i'm actually going to bump this in case anyone can come up with any other ideas for non-combative uses of warfunds that might be helpful

obviously i don't know anything internally, but i imagine that any additional ideas would be immensely helpful to the development process