Denied Improvements to Parawatch

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wojtekpolska

Sep 20, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Parawatch need a buff, they are supposed to be writing documents of what they see in order to infoleak stuff, they are supposed to have a certain amount of information about some scp's (which they call "paranormals" according to the stickied message), however in practice the moment you write anything meaningfull, a UNGOC/SCP/CI member will simply enter the parawatch spawn, take down the document, and if possible find the person who wrote it, in order to amnesticate them.
(this happened for me even tho UNGOC had no reason to suspect anything, they simply went to parawatch spawn routinly, shredded my document, and left)

My suggestion is to give the parawatch a way to keep their documents protected from "griefing" - you can either go simple, and make a rule that non-parawatch are not allowed to enter parawatch base without reason, and they cannot take down documents from the corkboard.
you also could give them a computer they can upload documents to, similar to what the SCP foundation has - give them a forum where they can upload documents of things they see.

Honestly, due to the stickied messages on the corkboard, i believe the corkboard is actually meant to be a representation of the online forum of parawatch? it would make much more sense this way, that the documents on the corkboard are actually not paper documents, but post on the parawatch forum? at least it should be like that (if you don't give them a real forum to post stuff to)

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
No, parawatch is notoriously neglected so im not aware of similar suggestions

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
- Give Parawatch actual incentive to play, a real goal. currently they can *technically* write documents, but in reality they will just be instantly removed, so it makes no sense for any player to waste time on that
- Incentivise more surface RP, have more players play parawatch, collect information, such as photos on their camera, and safely bring it back to parawatch hq spawn without dying to write an article

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
- could potentially lead to too many infoleaks, but i believe its not a real problem - in RP the general population is supposed to view parawatch as a bunch of crackheads, and consider all their claims as baseless conspiracy theories. so i dont actually believe this would bring any harm

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I think most players would want more surface RP to happen, and more people to play parawatch and try to gather information about anomalous activities, and about whatever CI/SCP/UNGOC is doing.
Giving them a forum, or at least preventing CI/SCP/UN from randomly searching their base, and preventing them from removing documents from the corkboard, would increase parawatch RP greately.

Currently there is simply not much for parawatch to do - they take pictures, but what for? if they write an article its just gonna get taken off the corkboard and shredded.

TL;DR - make it so SCP/CI/UNGOC can't simply enter parawatch hq for no reason to take down their documents, or give parawatch means to safely upload these documents somewhere to add some kind of reason to even play as them.

Last edited:

Dinklesprinkle

May 11, 2022
-support

Infobreach RP…. Sucks! Surface would be a constant “SCP-008 the zombie virus is reallllll.”
it already is, all info breaching on both servers seems to be in the majority is saying the usual "SCP-008 zombie virus" or "o5 the overseer council oversees the facility" like and then they act like cause they heard those names somewhere they know all information in regards to it I'm pretty sure most documents they receive as well are printed out by themselves lmao. on top of that people who doesn't make sense to info leak and cause horror/terror on the surface do it because all civ jobs are easy to get on and have next to no ruling

"Blackout"

Jul 28, 2023
-Support

While I agree that a rework needs to be done to how parawatch work, this simply isn’t the way.

Say this was to become reality; parawatch would constantly log on, info breach meaninglessly into o-comms, and then get killed/anesthetized, and then repeat because the document is still there for them to info breach. This happens now as we see, when the document they are using to info-breach hasn’t been destroyed yet and/or they are just re-printing with their clipboard.

This suggestion simply doesn’t allow for more RP in any fashion. It only diminishes it by preventing the only way to stop a info breach cycle.

Parawatch as a whole needs a rework if we want to see more roleplay from it, rather than just infobreach after infobreach. It is a donator job accessible by anyone. I’ve seen some better parawatch, and some downright trash parawatch who don’t even understand the server’s basic rules for parawatch. (Did you know parawatch have a 15minute cool down on entering the facility? Because apparently not a lot know.)

Speaking on behalf of what I do in UNGOC, these audits (going into parawatch hq and destroying all SCP documents) we regularly run are to stop the annoying and pointless info breaches, which info breaches have no purpose in long term. The only benefit to a info breach in short term is to give surface jobs a reason to go out and practice what they would do in regulation of controlling the info breach.

You find a way to rework parawatch as a whole, and I’m all for it.

Reactions: Max Henry

Jack "Fubar" Daniel

Feb 10, 2023
-support

imo, its a soy suggestion. this would just make surface a constant "008 zombie virus!?!?!?!? camp grenada!?!?!?!"

Max Henry

Jul 25, 2022
Site 184. Nova Scotia, Canada
-Support

While I agree that a rework needs to be done to how parawatch work, this simply isn’t the way.

Say this was to become reality; parawatch would constantly log on, info breach meaninglessly into o-comms, and then get killed/anesthetized, and then repeat because the document is still there for them to info breach. This happens now as we see, when the document they are using to info-breach hasn’t been destroyed yet and/or they are just re-printing with their clipboard.

This suggestion simply doesn’t allow for more RP in any fashion. It only diminishes it by preventing the only way to stop a info breach cycle.

Parawatch as a whole needs a rework if we want to see more roleplay from it, rather than just infobreach after infobreach. It is a donator job accessible by anyone. I’ve seen some better parawatch, and some downright trash parawatch who don’t even understand the server’s basic rules for parawatch. (Did you know parawatch have a 15minute cool down on entering the facility? Because apparently not a lot know.)

Speaking on behalf of what I do in UNGOC, these audits (going into parawatch hq and destroying all SCP documents) we regularly run are to stop the annoying and pointless info breaches, which info breaches have no purpose in long term. The only benefit to a info breach in short term is to give surface jobs a reason to go out and practice what they would do in regulation of controlling the info breach.

You find a way to rework parawatch as a whole, and I’m all for it.
+Support on what this person said.

SamPaval

May 26, 2022
-support

They need a full on change. Cause they just consist of Getting a document them spamming in Open comms the redacted information for 2 hours.

wojtekpolska

Sep 20, 2023
Imagine if researchers would have to do tests, write a document, document their findings, and then instead of being able to upload it, just being forced to leave it on the corkboard where someone simply steals it within 10 minutes and all their work is invalidated...

if they get some forum, this doesnt mean that everyone will be allowed to infoleak that document all the time (as within RP this makes no sense, cause civilians just think they are crackheads)

Bob "Gustav" Smith

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 28, 2022
Parawatch can work with rangers if belivable enough and most of the time they're gonna put the document behind a locked door and give you access to it whenever, but they aren't allowed to actively participate in infobreaching.

wojtekpolska

Sep 20, 2023
Parawatch can work with rangers if belivable enough and most of the time they're gonna put the document behind a locked door and give you access to it whenever, but they aren't allowed to actively participate in infobreaching.
i never heard of that before, thanks for a tip

wojtekpolska

Sep 20, 2023
Can they not use 914?

Overall -support but parawatch does need more
AFAIK they can, they just cannot run to 914 without having a reason to (they arent meant to even know what 914 is unless it's been infoleaked)
for example once when i parawatched once, my breakin randomly corelated with a CI raid, and they showed me to 914 :), which allowed me to use it.

also thanks everyone for the feedback, i guess my suggestion is not very well received, but i believe there needs to be *some* improvement to parawatch to give them some purpose, even if these changes are completely different from my suggestion.

Charles "Ze" Whittme

Apr 4, 2023
AFAIK they can, they just cannot run to 914 without having a reason to (they arent meant to even know what 914 is unless it's been infoleaked)
for example once when i parawatched once, my breakin randomly corelated with a CI raid, and they showed me to 914 :), which allowed me to use it.

also thanks everyone for the feedback, i guess my suggestion is not very well received, but i believe there needs to be *some* improvement to parawatch to give them some purpose, even if these changes are completely different from my suggestion.
No. They cant.

SL ruled it as FailRP.

Rackarain

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Resources Team
Donator
Group Moderator
Aug 29, 2022
-support
Having a rule from preventing someone stopping a info breach would ruin roleplay for someone people cuz they have to focus on stopping the info breach instead of doing other things like trainings or raids.

wojtekpolska

Sep 20, 2023
-support
Having a rule from preventing someone stopping a info breach would ruin roleplay for someone people cuz they have to focus on stopping the info breach instead of doing other things like trainings or raids.
you know there are many other ways to stop infobreaches

and explain to me - what roleplay is it to
1. enter parawatch hq
2. take down the document from the corkboard
3. leave

there is no gameplay here, it takes 3 minutes total, usually without even an interraction from another player.

and putting the document there is not actually infobreach itself, the infobreach happens when someone starts going around town and showing it to people

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022
Absolutely agree not just parawatch but all civ RP needs a bit more. It seems like people (at least on the US) are showing more intrest in Civilian gameplay so some reworks would be extremely appreciated.

Reactions: Max Henry
Status
Not open for further replies.