Rule Suggestion Restrict on the spot "rulings" to SSL+

Rule suggestions will be reviewed by Superadmins, this may take longer than standard content suggestions.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove?
This completely removes the ability for Server Leadership (except SSL+) to make rulings on the spot. Instead, rulings must be made via edits (as intended) to the existing Staff Rulings thread on the forums, or modifications to the existing rules. Verbal rulings will no longer be allowed.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?

My suggestion is different because it removes the ability for normal SL to issue verbal rule clarifications, some of which may be completely contradictory to what is listed on the server rules.

Possible Positives of the Suggestion (At least 2):
- Less confusion. Everyone here has experienced a time where SL has made a ruling that is either completely contrary or completely different than what is literally listed on the rules sheet. Some people even get warned due to these "rulings".
- More bureaucracy (which in this case is a good thing!). The Staff & SL team must work together to get staff rulings or rule changes approved as to just doing it on their own volition.

Possible Negatives of the Suggestion:
- Nothing! I sincerely think every CN player would thoroughly enjoy this change.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted?
I think this is a shot in the dark on whether or not it will be accepted, but I as well as tons of other CN players have came across times where we've been pulled to a staff room and told "You can't do this". We make the argument of "Well the rules and staff rulings thread doesn't say that" and get told "Well I'm SL and I'm making a ruling on it right now". However, this is not written down anywhere. This leads to some of the same staff involved warning others for rulings that are quite literally not listed on the rules that we're supposed to follow.

While I enjoy my time here in Civil Networks, this is the only community I have been in that has had so many verbal changes to the rules by SL, it's incredibly hard to follow. One my ask - why not just adjust the staff ruling thread? Why not add/remove rules from the rules list? Every single other community manages to do this yet we do not see Civil Networks do it. If you look in the changelogs channel on Discord there has been 5 rule adjustments since early February, 3 of which revolve around the new SCPs. This is despite staff insisting there are new rulings in place "behind the scenes".

Overall, this should be accepted because we simply cannot follow rules we don't know about, and I think a lot of us are being tired of being pulled to sits for something an SL says is against the rules, but is not literally written down on either the Staff Rulings thread or the SCP-RP Server Rules.

@Starling6 (@'ing you because I know you'll like this suggestion lmao)

Last edited:
+ Support
Fun fact on US, you are not allowed to spawn vehicles during a raid!
Fun fact, you couldn't camp vents as per a rule but then they changed their mind a week later and told no one!
Fun fact, they made a ruling where you couldn't place anchors down during CI raids unless there was a TB confirmed, then they changed their minds!
Fun fact, they made a ruling saying you could use PAC to find DCs but then changed their minds 3 days later!
Fun fact, D-Class can't use 914 until 10 minutes after nuke or restart! Its FailRP!
Fun fact, if Foundation gets everybody out, they can nuke a CI raid!
Fun fact, you could kidnap on NHU but then they changed their minds a week later!
Fun fact, its not basecamping if they look at you! (Not joking)
Fun fact, you can metagame surface medics/chefs! (this is a good one)
Fun fact, you remember the D-Class 914 ruling, that was never written down when it was made!
Fun fact, they made a ruling saying you could ask for an entire group of people during interrogation, then changed their minds a week later after it affected CI!

I have a lot more of these!

+ Support
Fun fact, you couldn't camp vents as per a rule but then they changed their mind a week later and told no one!
Fun fact, they made a ruling where you couldn't place anchors down during CI raids unless there was a TB confirmed, then they changed their minds!
Fun fact, they made a ruling saying you could use PAC to find DCs but then changed their minds 3 days later!
Fun fact, D-Class can't use 914 until 10 minutes after nuke or restart! Its FailRP!
Fun fact, you could kidnap on NHU but then they changed their minds a week later!
Fun fact, you remember the D-Class 914 ruling, that was never written down when it was made!
Fun fact, they made a ruling saying you could ask for an entire group of people during interrogation, then changed their minds a week later after it affected CI!

i feel like a lot of them changing their minds comes down to different staff POV's, and a lack of communication.

Because this happens a lot. And dont get me started on how different US/UK clarifications are (Half of these dont apply to UK)

Mar 15, 2022
Site-65
What does this suggestion change/add/remove?
This completely removes the ability for Server Leadership (except SSL+) to make rulings on the spot. Instead, rulings must be made via edits (as intended) to the existing Staff Rulings thread on the forums, or modifications to the existing rules. Verbal rulings will no longer be allowed.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?

My suggestion is different because it removes the ability for normal SL to issue verbal rule clarifications, some of which may be completely contradictory to what is listed on the server rules.

Possible Positives of the Suggestion (At least 2):
- Less confusion. Everyone here has experienced a time where SL has made a ruling that is either completely contrary or completely different than what is literally listed on the rules sheet. Some people even get warned due to these "rulings".
- More bureaucracy (which in this case is a good thing!). The Staff & SL team must work together to get staff rulings or rule changes approved as to just doing it on their own volition.

Possible Negatives of the Suggestion:
- Nothing! I sincerely think every CN player would thoroughly enjoy this change.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted?
I think this is a shot in the dark on why it should be accepted, but I as well as tons of other CN players have came across times where we've been pulled to a staff room and told "You can't do this". We make the argument of "Well the rules and staff rulings thread doesn't say that" and get told "Well I'm SL and I'm making a ruling on it right now". However, this is not written down anywhere. This leads to some of the same staff involved warning others for rulings that are quite literally not listed on the rules that we're supposed to follow.

While I enjoy my time here in Civil Networks, this is the only community I have been in that has had so many verbal changes to the rules by SL, it's incredibly hard to follow. One my ask - why not just adjust the staff ruling thread? Why not add/remove rules from the rules list? Every single other community manages to do this yet we do not see Civil Networks do it. If you look in the changelogs channel on Discord there has been 5 rule adjustments since early February, 3 of which revolve around the new SCPs. This is despite staff insisting there are new rulings in place "behind the scenes".

Overall, this should be accepted because we simply cannot follow rules we don't know about, and I think a lot of us are being tired of being pulled to sits for something an SL says is against the rules, but is not literally written down on either the Staff Rulings thread or the SCP-RP Server Rules.

@Starling6 (@'ing you because I know you'll like this suggestion lmao)

i hate invisible rulings
+ soup

+ Support

+Support

they love making up their own rules and then warning you for some dogshit reason.

Oct 7, 2023
+support

But don't even let SSL make on the spot rulings, if a ruling is going to be made it should have to be posted in the Staff Rulings section on the forums. No unwritten rules should be enforceable.

Reactions: Zen
Status
Not open for further replies.